Starfield, Bethesda’s anticipated space exploration game, has captivated gamers worldwide. The long-awaited title Starfield was finally released on 6 September 2023 for the Sci-fi fans eagerly awaiting its promise of a vast, open universe.
This is not only the game offering you a massive space environment to explore, as several great space-themed games are available to satisfy our interstellar thirst. To help you start your cosmic adventures, we’ll review some of the Best Games Like Starfield, including their Features, Pros, Cons, and Prices.
Best Games Like Starfield to Play in 2023
Several Similar Games to Starfield are available; however, most offer thrilling gameplay as Starfield has. Therefore, we compiled a list of games that could satisfy your thirst for playing space exploration games.
1. Elite Dangerous
Elite Dangerous takes you to an open-world Milky Way galaxy with billions of star systems, planets, and celestial objects. Elite Dangerous provides an unmatched space exploration experience for pilots and captains. Prepare to travel through space, customize your spacecraft, trade, fight, negotiate, and connect with other players.
- Open-World Universe: Elite Dangerous lets you explore the Milky Way with billions of star systems, planets, and celestial objects.
- Realistic Space Travel: The game offers spaceship customization, trading, combat, and more.
- Multiplayer: Form alliances, explore, trade, and pirate in the vast, open universe.
- Immersive Universe: The game’s detail and scale make it immersive.
- Elite Dangerous’ diverse gameplay lets players trade goods, explore uncharted territories, or fight in thrilling space battles.
- To keep players interested, developers update the game with new Features, ships, and missions.
- Newcomers may struggle to understand spaceflight mechanics.
- Grind-Heavy: Earning credits for ship upgrades takes time.
- Base Game: $7.49
- Variety of Expansion Packs
2. No Man’s Sky
No Man’s Sky lets you explore a procedurally generated universe with 18 quintillion planets, unique landscapes, flora, and fauna. Craft, build, and survive in this peaceful, ever-changing space sandbox. Discover new species, build bases, and explore the universe. No Man’s Sky has evolved, making it appealing to space fans.
- No Man’s Sky has 18 quintillion explorable planets in a procedurally generated universe.
- Build and customize planet bases to create your own space outposts.
- Explore and Discover: Find new species, gather resources, and document your findings in a vast galaxy.
- Limitless Exploration: The procedurally generated game universe always offers new discoveries.
- Upgrades: The developers have added multiplayer, VR support, and cross-platform play to the game.
- No Man’s Sky’s peaceful gameplay is perfect for those who like to explore without fighting.
- Initial Controversy: The game was criticized for not meeting pre-launch promises, but updates have fixed it.
- Resource Management: Inventory and resource gathering can be tedious.
- Base Game: $19.99
- Regular free updates and expansions
Stellaris blends space exploration and grand strategy games. Customize your species, build your empire, and negotiate and fight with other spacefaring nations to make your interstellar civilization great. Explore a galaxy with complex gameplay, random events, and a growing universe. Strategy fans can immerse themselves in Stellaris’ endless replayability and vibrant modding community.
- Stellaris combines grand strategy games’ complexity with space exploration’s vastness.
- Build and lead your interstellar empire, customizing species and ships.
- Diplomacy and Warfare: Form alliances and fight epic space battles with other empires.
- Stellaris’ deep strategy emphasizes empire management, diplomacy, and research.
- Endless replayability: Random events, diverse species, and customizable empires make every playthrough unique.
- Extensions and Mods: Stellaris has a vibrant modding community, and Paradox Interactive frequently releases expansions that add depth.
- Grand strategy game beginners may find the learning curve steep.
- Patience: Stellaris requires careful planning and strategy.
- Base Game: $16.99
- Variety of Expansion Packs
Starbound takes you to an endlessly adventurous 2D pixel art world. Explore, craft, and survive on procedurally generated planets with different biomes and challenges. Starbound’s charming aesthetics and open-ended gameplay promise an engaging interstellar adventure, whether you’re building bases, finding treasures, or enjoying creative freedom.
- 2D Sandbox Adventure: Starbound is a pixel-art exploration, crafting, and survival game.
- Travel between procedurally generated planets with different biomes and challenges.
- Multiplayer Exploration: Journey through space, build bases, and complete quests with friends.
- Players can express their creativity through building, crafting, and character customization.
- Starbound offers nearly limitless gameplay with an infinite number of planets to explore.
- The Starbound modding community regularly adds new content and Features.
- Pixel art may not appeal to some players as much as 3D space exploration games.
- Starbound has easier gameplay than some of the other games on this list.
- Base Game: $14.99
5. Space Engineers
Space Engineers is a creative sandbox where you design and build spaceships, bases, and complex machinery. Explore engineering with realistic physics and damage models. Build massive space structures or fight in space with friends. Space Engineers offers a unique blend of creativity, realism, and multiplayer.
- Creative Engineering: Space Engineers design spaceships, bases, and complex machinery.
- The game’s realistic physics and damage models add depth to Construction and combat.
- Multiplayer Construction: Build massive space structures or fight epic battles with friends.
- Complex Building System: Engineering and Construction mechanics make the game unique.
- Space Engineers stands out for its realistic physics and engineering.
- The developers add new blocks, Features, and optimizations to the game regularly.
- Newcomers may struggle with the game’s steep learning curve for building and engineering.
- Exploration: The game emphasizes Construction and engineering, but you can explore.
- Base Game: $19.99
- Variety of DLC Packs
6. Everspace 2
Everspace 2 is a thrilling space adventure with stunning graphics and a compelling story. Explore an open-world galaxy with secrets, missions, and treasures in your customized spaceship. Combat, exploration, and storytelling keep you hooked as you explore the cosmos.
- Everspace 2 includes intense, fast-paced space combat and customizable ships.
- Open World Exploration: Discover secrets, missions, and treasures in a stunning, handcrafted galaxy.
- RPG Elements: Upgrade your ship, buy new gear, and improve your piloting skills.
- One of the Pros of Everspace 2 is its stunning graphics and space environments.
- Engaging Storyline: Everspace 2’s story keeps players engaged in its world.
- Varying Gameplay: Enjoy combat, exploration, and storytelling for a complete gaming experience.
- Early Access: The full experience may not be available yet despite its potential.
- Everspace 2 is more combat-focused than other games on this list.
- Early Access: $17.99
- Full Release Price TBD
7. Outer Wilds
Outer Wilds takes you on a cosmic adventure through a time-looped universe full of mysteries. Explore a handcrafted solar system to discover the mysterious forces at play, with each planet revealing a clue. A captivating narrative and serene exploration against hauntingly beautiful soundscapes make this game a unique space exploration experience.
- In Outer Wilds, explore a time-looped universe and uncover its mysteries.
- Handcrafted Solar System: Discover a stunning solar system with unique planets that reveal the mystery.
- You can tell the story at your own pace and order.
- Unique concept: Time-loop mechanics and non-linear storytelling provide a fresh approach to space exploration.
- Captivating Narrative: The game’s story is captivating and memorable.
- The hauntingly beautiful soundtrack enhances the game’s immersion.
- Limited Replayability: There may be little incentive to replay after solving the game’s mysteries.
- Some players may find the game short compared to others on this list.
- Outer Wilds Base Game Price: $10.99
8. Interstellar Rift
Interstellar Rift is a multiplayer spaceship Construction game where you build, customize, and manage your ship with others. AI-controlled threats and other player factions appear as you explore, trade, and gather resources in the galaxy. Cooperation, complex ship systems, and regular updates make the game appealing to those seeking a shared interstellar experience.
- Interstellar Rift Features the ability to build, customize, and manage a starship with others in multiplayer mode.
- Explore, trade, and gather resources as you navigate the galaxy.
- You’ll face AI-controlled enemies and other players as you travel through space.
- Cooperative Gameplay: Interstellar Rift shines in multiplayer, allowing friends to work together on a shared spaceship.
- Complex Systems: Ship design and management are detailed in the game, satisfying simulation fans.
- Developers add new features and content to the game regularly.
- Potential drawbacks of Interstellar Rift include a steep learning curve for newcomers to master ship design and systems.
- As with many early-access games, Interstellar Rift may have bugs and optimization issues.
- Early Access: $8.19
- Release Price TBD
We eagerly await Starfield, but plenty of great space-themed games exist. Each game offers a unique cosmic experience, whether you prefer Elite Dangerous’ vast, open universe, No Man’s Sky’s serene exploration, Stellaris’ deep strategy, Starbound’s creative sandbox, or Space Engineers’ engineering challenges. Choose the right interstellar game based on gameplay, graphics, and complexity. Whatever you choose, you’ll be lost in the stars, charting your course through space and experiencing its wonders. Have fun gaming!